The VC Matrix® shower screen was developed by Del Creatives S.R.L, DVG, and IMS to produce a dryer puck and a full extraction. It is very different than your usual etched or holed espresso shower.
This technology is similar to a 2nd contact shower screen for the basket - slows down the extraction and drops the water temperature by 1-2°C, so suits models where group temperature cannot be adjusted, if using 100% arabica. 100% arabica. coffees are best extracted at 88-90°C.
This IMS innovation is made of 316L s.steel plate, composed of 50 layers of microspheres, creating tens of thousands of routes, as narrow as 4-5 microns. This allows an even distribution of the water on the coffee puck. The fine porosity causes a pressure drop at the very last step before the water meets the coffee bed. The internal pressure inside the porous plate causes the release of nano-bubbles of steam and CO2, creating a sturdier crema.
- No more channeling! The matrix material structure ensures a uniform flow which lowers the risk of channeling, even with poor tamping.
- Cleaner groups! Coffee silt does not travel back up the solenoid valve, but coffee oils do - so you still have to back flush. However, oily molecules can still travel back with the water being chucked at the end of the action.
- Get more out of less - Improving the flow on top of the coffee allows the barista to grind the coffee finer and use less of it to reach a similar result.
- Thicker creamier espresso - the micro-bubbles created inside the tiny crevices of the material make their way into the coffee brew. With the fats and fibers, these micro-bubbles build a thicker crema and full body feel.
- Lowers the group temperature by 1-2°C - if the basket is not heated up beforehand.
- Dimensions: External 60 mm x Internal 57MM x Wall height 17mm
- Holes area: Ø 4-5μ
- Material: Stainless steel AISI316 Food Safe
- Made in Italy
VC Matrix care:
- Flush the shower screen after each use.
- Back flush daily with Urnex or Puly caff - or any coffee detergent agent.
- Flush coffee detergents free with clean water for 20 sec.
- Keep the portafilter empty, when not in use.